Meal prepping lunches is one of my favourite things to do, because it allows me to have a healthy, filling and delicious lunch every day. Having a nice lunch to look forward to makes all the difference when you have lectures or school. This week I decided to make a lunch with different veggies and falafel that were on sale, because meal prepping doesn’t have to be expensive! This recipe is also perfect if you do not have a lot of time, because you can prep all of your ingredients while your pasta is cooking!
In this salad I combined the sweetness and earthiness of beetroot with a bit of a sweeter dressing: strawberries, vinegar and basil. I think the basil works very nicely with the beetroot, spinach and tomato to give it a bit of an Italian touch.
As a protein source in this meal I picked a spicy falafel, because that was on sale. I think adding a white bean or chickpeas would also work very well, especially if you want to safe a bit of money on that part.
The pasta I used for this recipe is called riso, because it has the shape if rice. I thought that this type of pasta would be very handy in a pasta salad like this, because it is easy to stir into other ingredients, and is also easy to eat out of your lunchbox. However, I think I would prefer the texture of a bigger pasta, like fusilli or farfalle. To make this gluten free you could either make this with rice, or with gluten free pasta. Another option would be to sub the pasta for a type of white, neutral bean.
Ingredients for 5 lunches:
- 5 big handfuls of spinach (I used 450 grams, which I could barely stuff in my containers, so I suggest not buying as much ;))
- 500 grams of cooked beetroot
- 250 grams of grape tomatoes
- 150 – 200 grams of dry pasta, I used riso
- 10 – 15 leaves of fresh basil
- 250 grams of spicy falafel (I used the Maza brand)
For the dressing:
- 100 grams of (frozen) strawberries
- 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. of dried basil
- Water to thin it out
- Cook your pasta according to package directions, drain your pasta when it’s done
- Prepare your dressing by adding the strawberries, vinegar and basil to a container and blitz it up with a immersion blender, add water to make it more liquid
- Cut up your beetroot into chunks, cut your tomatoes into halves
- Grill your falafel in a pan, I didn’t add any oil
- Add your dressing and your beetroot to the pasta
- Add a handful of spinach to each container, add 1/5 of the riso mix, tomatoes and falafel to the spinach.
- Add some fresh basil on top
- Enjoy cold or lukewarm