I wanted to make a banoffee pie for my parents this weekend but taking a look on Pinterest I only found vegan recipes for raw pies. Not that there is anything wrong with raw, but sometimes you don’t want a date caramel and date-nut crust. Sometimes you want crunchy biscuits with dulce de leche, banana and soy cream; not healthy but definitely delicious.
I do have one remark on this recipe however, the soy whipping cream I used by Alpro was quite firm after just whipping it, but after it had been in the fridge for a while it became a lot runnier, so the presentation wasn’t as pretty. Instead of the soy whipping cream you could definitely use coconut whipping cream, but I prefer not to have a coconutty flavour in dishes that aren’t supposed to taste like coconut ;).
For a basic dulce de leche recipe I used this one, but I of course made it vegan instead. I also chose to omit the vanilla extract, since Dutch sweetened soy milk has a bit of a vanilla flavour anyway. I also added some salt to make it more of a salted caramel sauce, which I would definitely recommend!
- 150 grams of digestives (10 cookies)
- 50 grams of vegan margarine, melted
- 485 mL of soy milk
- 180 grams of sugar
- A pinch of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 medium bananas
- One container of Alpro soy whipping cream (251 grams)
- Start by making your dulce de leche by placing the soymilk with 130 grams of sugar and the baking powder in a saucepan, bringing it to a boil and turning it down to a simmer. Let it simmer for 1-1.5 hours stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn, leave to cool for a bit then stir in the salt.
- Crush up your biscuits then add the melted butter, stirring to make sure all the crumbs are coated, press into a cake tin. Put in the fridge for 10 min to let it harden a bit
- Pour the caramel over the cookie crumbs, spreading it gently to the edges
- Cut your banana into slices, arrange the slices on top of the caramel
- Whip you whipping cream with 50 grams of sugar and spoon over the pie
- Cut into 12 pieces and serve!
The pie with the cookie base and caramel
Arranging the banana on top
Spooning the cream on to the banana pie
Cutting the pie