This is part of my 3-course dinner series, where I show you the vegan 3-course dinner I cooked my parents. My parents are not vegan, but trough my cooking I like to show them that you can eat delicious vegan things!
For this recipe I tried out a recipe by the Albert Heijn (a Dutch supermarket), of which the original recipe can be found HERE.
NOTE: Because I prefer not to have everything taste like coconut, I tried to make this with alpro cuisine instead. However, I think that this cooking cream substitute contains a lot less fat, which made the crème brûlèe a little less creamy than I would like. Next time I probably will try to make a homemade cashew cream by blending 50 grams of cashews and 150 mL of water, to recreate a milk with the same fat content as coconut milk, but without the coconut flavour.
I also had to add a lot more sugar to the top to make it caramelise, seeing that the recommended 2 table spoons just didn’t work for me. I also would add a bit more to the creamy part of the crème brûlèe, just to make it a bit sweeter.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 200-250 mL of coconut milk or Alpro cuisine (see NOTE)
- 400 mL of unsweetened almond milk
- 8 tbsp. of sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsp. of agar agar (around 3 grams)
- 150 grams of raspberries (or any fruit to serve on the side)
- A pot
- A crème brûlèe torch
- Four ramakins
- Four plates
- Scrape the seeds from your vanilla pod by cutting it and scraping the inside with a knive
- Add your two types of milk, half of your sugar (4 tbsp.) the vanilla seeds, the scraped vanilla pod and the agar to a pot
- Bring to a boil, then turn of the stove and let cool to room temperature (don’t be afraid if it doesn’t look thickened at this point!)
- Scoop the vanilla pod from the pot, then divide the crème mixture over your four ramakins, then put in the fridge for around an hour
- Just before serving, add a table spoon of sugar on top of your cream and use your torch to brown the sugar on top
- Put a ramakins on the plate, then add the raspberries along the side
- Serve and enjoy!