I recently moved houses, so I had to clean out all the cabinets in my kitchen. There I found a lot of super grains which I bought at some point, but didn’t finish. I was therefore left with small quantities of spelt, buckwheat and freekeh. This lunch salad was a convenient way to clean out those products, while making a healthy and delicious meal. Because I also had some olives and dates lying around, I thought I would go for a Mediterranean flavour profile.
This recipe is super easy to make, all you have to do is cook some grains and cut up some ingredients. It is therefore perfect if you don’t have a lot of experience in the kitchen. This can be made even simpler by using something like couscous or bulgur, which only requires you to pour boiling water over the top, but I prefer the bite that these mixed grains have.
Ingredients for 3 lunches:
- Around 200 grams of mixed super grains (I used spelt, buckwheat and freekeh)
- A hand full of grape tomatoes
- A hand full of black olives
- A small hand full of dates
- 2 spring onions or scallions
- 1/3 of a cucumber
- A hand full of mixed fresh herbs (I used sage, basil and rosemary)
- Some salt and pepper to taste
- If using spelt, pre-soak for 2 hours
- Cook your grains according to package directions, drain
- Spelt: 20 min
- Freekeh: 15 min
- Buckwheat: 8-10 min
- Cut up your veggies, olives, dates and herbs
- Throw everything together and add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve lukewarm or cold, enjoy!
Instruction in pictures
Cook your grains
Cut your veg
Serve in bowls or pack as lunch